How To Choose Top 5 Best Tactical Flashlight 2017?
The best tactical flashlights are typically used during heavy situations like law enforcement and military operations where they are exposed to high amounts of abuse. However, these lights can also serve as self-defense weapons by ordinary civilians since they are made of tougher materials than regular flashlights.
The main criteria in choosing a tactical flashlight is to check whether it’s made of rigid and durable materials. The switch is usually at the butt end to promote one-handed operation, especially in stealth situations. Additional accessories like a lanyard or pocket clip are also helpful to always have the flashlight at the ready.
Getting excited? Without further much ado, let’s get you introduced to the best tactical flashlights in the market today.
Top 5 Best Tactical Flashlight Reviews 2017:
2. J5 Hyper V Tactical Flashlight – Best Tactical Flashlight for the Money
This is the best pick for a tactical flashlight without burning a hole in your pocket. It's relatively cheap for a tactical flashlight, but some positives are also present in some other premium flashlights. Only three AAA batteries are needed to power the Hyper V.
Hyper V uses a LED exclusive for its own model. It has a maximum brightness of 400 lumens, and the can be cycled through three modes by the tail switch. It comes with a strobe mode which is common in tactical flashlight and can temporarily disorient someone because it also uses the maximum brightness setting.
The Hyper V’s main feature is its adjustable focus range whether you can zoom in or out for a more intense beam or a wide illumination coverage. The maximum recorded distance for this flashlight is approximately 240 meters (or more accurately 800 feet). The focus range is adjusted through the head of the light by rotating it slightly.
The exterior of this flashlight is apt for tactical purposes. It has an aircraft-grade aluminum body with an attack head design for self-defense purposes. It also has a skid-proof design and is both water and impact-resistant. The Hyper V comes with a clip so you can secure it your belt or pocket.
The flashlight may have some disadvantage on the light modes depending on the person that uses it. For instance, once you have set the light in a particular mode, upon turning it on the next time, it will cycle to the next mode. This means that you have to click two more times to get back to the initially set light mode. Another thing is the material used for the button. It's only made out of cheap plastic and may not last very long. It also doesn't provide an excellent grip.
- Good for many applications
- One-handed operation
- Adjustable focus range
- Price starts at $20
- No memory function
- Plastic button doesn’t provide a good grip
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 800 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights....
- FOCUS ADJUSTABLE, THREE MODES - 3 Useful Settings (High - Low - Strobe) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking,...
- WATER RESISTANT & VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Compact and tough as nails, this flashlight can survive a 9-foot drop or being temporary submerged in water....
- GREAT VALUE & PEACE OF MIND - Keep one in your car, one in your kitchen and one in your garage. The compact size makes them ideal to keep in a pocket or...
3. Streamlight 69260 TLR-1 HL Weapon Mount Tactical Flashlight – Best Tactical Flashight for Most Handguns
The TLR-1 HL is the first pistol light to be featured in this article. This means that the flashlight can be mounted directly on your handgun. Thus, this flashlight is restricted to those who own handguns like the licensed civilians, military men, and the law enforcers. The TLR-1 weapon light mounts to Glock’s and all other guns with Picatinny rails.
This tactical flashlight is powered by two CR123A lithium batteries which have a 10-year storage life. It can give off a maximum of 800 lumens for 1.75 hours. Since this light incorporates the C4 LED technology, the LED is impervious to shock. It’s highly durable and can light up an area 245 meters ahead. The TIR lens produces a concentrated beam for a brighter focus.
Though it has only one brightness output, there’s a programmable strobe mode which can be enabled or disable depending on your liking. It can be accessed along with the power function switch at the rear. The switch is ambidextrous which facilitates easy activation for both left-handed and right-handed shooters. The activation of the strobe can prove to be quite tricky though.
The strobe is activated by flipping the left of the switch twice and must be held to keep it on. To make the strobe mode last longer without holding the switch, you will have to flip the switch twice to the left and rapidly flip the switch to the right. This is quite tricky especially when it's an emergency situation. Another thing to be noted on the TLR-1 HL is its rapidly hot temperature because it's only available in the highest light output of 800 lumens.
The exterior features of the TLR-1 HL are also superb. Aside from the usual aluminum body, this light has an IPX7 water resistance rating which can still function well after being submerged for 30 minutes at 1-meter depth. The flashlight has a rail grip clamp system that allows the light to be mounted or dismounted with no tools required.
If you like, the weapon light is available in three colors such as black, flat dark earth, and flat dark earth brown.
- No tools required
- Programmable strobe mode function
- Mounts to most handguns
- Ambidextrous switch
- Strobe mode’s activation sequence is complicated
- Gets hot quickly
- C4 LED delivers 12,000 candela peak beam intensity; 800 lumens
- Securely fits a broad range of weapons. Item dimensions is 3.39 length x 1.47 width x 1.44 high in inches
- One handed snap-on and tighten interface keeps hands away from muzzle when attaching/detaching
- 6000 series machined aircraft aluminum with anodized finish with high temperature, shock-mounted glass lens
4. Vizeri VZ230 Tactical Flashlight – Best Versatile Tactical Flashlight at a Low Price
If you're having a hard time looking for a tactical flashlight that will suit your budget, worry no more as the new VZ230 is one of your best options while still retaining some premium features not found on cheap flashlights. Aside from the cheap price, the VZ230 accepts several battery types like the AAA, NiMH, CR123A lithium, rechargeable 16340 lithium, etc.
This small flashlight uses the CREE XPG-R5 LED that can produce a maximum of 230 lumens at high mode. It also has medium and low modes which are 70 and 20 lumens, respectively. Like any other tactical flashlight, it also has an SOS and a strobe mode function. The good thing about this light despite the multiple light modes is the memory function that will remember the last set mode upon turning it on again. All of these light modes can be navigated through the tail switch.
A unique feature of this tactical flashlight which sets it from flashlights of the same price range is the zoom focus capability through a twisting motion at the head of the light. It's useful when looking for smaller things at a distance because you can pinpoint what it is when you zoom the light on it.
Despite the low price, this flashlight's visible features are excellent. It features a military-grade aluminum body that is not easily dented nor scratched. The LumenBoost vacuum-coated aluminum optical reflector increases the brightness of the beam compared to the plastic reflector. Also, the components such as gold-plated springs instead of steel-plated springs are used for corrosion resistance.
Be careful when using this flashlight as it has a major flaw. You don't want to accidentally drop it as it may result in some of the internal components becoming loose. After all, this flashlight’s build is not as strong as the more expensive flashlights. Furthermore, another disadvantage noted is it’s not readily supplied with batteries upon purchase.
- Accepts other battery types
- With memory function
- With strobe and SOS mode functions
- Zoom focus capability
- Components may become loose when dropped
- Batteries not included
- The CREE T6 XML LED used with the focusing feature of this torch creates a dangerously bright intense beam beam, brighter than other lights claiming higher...
- All components thread into the tube instead of pressure fit like cheap flashlights. Gold plated springs for corrosion-free connections. Submergable to a...
- Included lamp diffuser and holster with D-ring along with a carabiner can be used to create a hanging lamp in your tent or other places. Lots of...
- Most flexible power options: Low-cost AAA or CR123 alkaline batteries (you can use rechargeable versions). Or if the light will be used in high mode, we...
5. SureFire G2X Pro Dual-Output LED Flashlight – Best Tactical Flashlight Made of Polymer
The G2X Pro is one of the best recommended tactical flashlights that is not made out of the standard aluminum body. It uses a very rigid polymer called Nitrolon as the covering material of the flashlight’s body and the tail cap. This polymer ensures to prevent abrasions, corrosion, and doesn’t conduct electricity. It’s a safe option for people who want to stay on the safer side of things.
Not all of the G2X Pro’s exterior is made of Nitrolon. The head is made from aluminum with an improved heat dissipation. Its bezel is hexagonal-shaped with large flat areas to prevent rolling. At the lens, it is made of polycarbonate that can withstand strong impacts.
The G2X Pro's key point is its virtually indestructible LED as it has no filament that may break or burn up. It only provides two light output levels: the high mode is set at 320 lumens, and the other one is at 15 lumens. The activation switch is found at the tail and powered by two CR123A lithium batteries.
The switch sequence may be a disadvantage depending on the perspective of the user. Upon clicking the tail switch for the first time, the light output is set at low. You can choose between the momentary on and the constant on depending on the pressure of your finger. If you like to change it to high mode, you will have to cycle from low to off, then to high. It would have been better if the light modes could have been reversed and there’s no ‘off’ when changing the light modes.
Another great thing about this flashlight is its abundance in color designs. Currently, there are over five colors.
- Tough polymer body
- Virtually indestructible LED
- Multiple color designs available
- Reversed light output settings
- Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize light output and runtime
- Two output levels - high of 320 lumens for maximum light, and low of 15 lumens for extended runtime
- Dual-output tailcap click switch--press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high
- Precision micro-textured reflector creates smooth, optimized beam
The best tactical flashlight must serve its purpose well depending on what application you had in mind before you buy it. From the above listed tactical flashlights, you now have an overall idea as to what the features and characteristics are a superb flashlight should have.